If you're in need of affordable health insurance in NC, you're not alone. North Carolina residents have many options available to them due to the Affordable Care Act (ACA), but knowing what your options are can require careful research and an understanding of your budget and medical needs.
At HealthMarkets Insurance Agency, we work with over 180 insurance providers nationwide to provide thousands of policy options for you to choose from. When you work with one of our knowledgeable, licensed agents, they can help narrow your search to the options that suit your needs.
How to Find Affordable Health Insurance in NC
According to the HHS, "did you know that after first open enrollment, out of 357,584 residents enrolled in NC, 91% opted for a plan with financial assistance? New restrictions on how insurance companies spend your money (known as the 80/20 rule) resulted in $8,488,477 in refunds for North Carolinians from their insurance companies."
Because of the many options and subsidies available, NC families can find the right plan that works for them.
How to Make North Carolina Health Care Affordable
With the option to choose your own level of coverage and learning about your subsidy eligibility, you can find affordable ways to save and still get the coverage you need.
By choosing your level of coverage, or "metal level," you can determine how much coverage your health insurance provider can give you by how much you choose to spend on monthly premiums. In general, the more you spend in premiums, the more coverage you'll receive when you seek health care. There are four metal levels to choose from:
- Bronze: 60% covered by your health insurance provider, 40% covered by you.
- Silver: 70% covered by your health insurance provider, 30% covered by you.
- Gold: 80% covered by your health insurance provider, 20% covered by you.
- Platinum: 90% covered by your health insurance provider, 10% covered by you.
If your family makes a modest annual income, you may be eligible to still receive the level of care you need while getting help paying for premiums and out-of-pocket costs. Subsidies help families below the Federal Poverty Line pay for healthcare. There are two subsidies your family may be eligible for in North Carolina:
- Premium Tax Credit: Families making between 100% and 400% of the Federal Poverty Line can receive help lowering or covering the cost of monthly premiums.
- Cost-Sharing Reduction: Families making between 100% and 250% of the Federal Poverty Line can receive help lowering or covering the cost of out-of-pocket expenses when receiving health care.
Find Affordable NC Health Plans with HealthMarkets
At HealthMarkets, we offer a free matching service that compares your needs and budget with the policies offered by more than 180 different insurance companies nationwide. In a matter of minutes we'll find affordable health insurance in North Carolina that fit your needs—and we'll do it for free.