Because the marketplace can seem complex, buying a family health insurance plan takes careful consideration, especially if you’ve never done it before. There are numerous options available through public and private insurance plans. Ultimately, you want to find a plan that fits your budget and offers the coverage you need. Learn the facts about family healthcare so you can feel confident with the plan you choose.
Whether you have a family of two or 10, health insurance coverage is critical. You need adequate coverage for each member of your family, but you also need it be affordable. If you don’t have health coverage, you may have to pay a fee.
Making the Right Healthcare Choice for Your Family
You can make the right healthcare choice for your family by arming yourself with a few key facts. Here’s what you need to know about buying family health insurance:
- Each health plan has a monthly premium amount that you pay to keep coverage. Think about your monthly budget, and decide what kind of premium you can afford.
- You can’t predict what will happen in the coming months or years, but you can make an estimate. How much medical care did your family need in the past year for sick visits, specialty care, or other health needs? Inquire about the copays and deductibles that apply to those services. This will give you an idea of what you might pay with each health insurance plan.
- You can buy an Obamacare plan during the annual Open Enrollment Period. If you have missed that deadline, see if you qualify for the Special Enrollment Period. If you’ve recently gotten married, had a baby, lost your other health coverage, or moved, you may be eligible for the special enrollment period.
- If you aren’t eligible for the special enrollment period, you may still buy a short-term health plan. These plans can help provide you with the coverage you may need until open enrollment.
- Avoid paying the penalty by making sure your health plan provides “minimum essential coverage.” Your insurance provider or agent can tell you if the plan qualifies, and it should be listed in your plan’s paperwork.
Fortunately, you don’t have to make this important decision on your own. With access to hundreds of plans nationwide, HealthMarkets Insurance Agency’s licensed agents are here to help you with buying health insurance for your family. Pick up the phone and call us anytime, 24 hours a day, at (800) 360-1402, or get a quote online. We also have agents available in communities nationwide to speak with you in person. Our assistance and quotes are free.