Buying family health insurance takes careful consideration, especially if you’ve never done it before. There are numerous options available through public and private insurance plans. Ultimately, you want to find a plan that fits your budget and offers the coverage you need. Learn the facts about family healthcare so you can feel confident with the plan you choose.
Whether you have a family of two or 10, health insurance coverage is critical. You need adequate coverage for each member of your family, but you also need the right fit. If you don’t have health coverage, you may have to pay a fee depending on your state of residence.
Making the Right Healthcare Choice for Your Family
You can make the right healthcare choice for your family by arming yourself with a few key facts. Here’s what you need to know about buying family health insurance:
- Each health plan has a monthly premium amount that you pay to keep coverage. Think about your monthly budget and decide what kind of premium you can afford.
- You can’t predict what will happen in the coming months or years, but you can make an estimate. How much medical care did your family need in the past year for sick visits, specialty care, or other health needs? Inquire about the copays and deductibles that apply to those services. This will give you an idea of what you might pay with each family health insurance plan.
- You can buy an Affordable Care Act (ACA) plan during the annual Open Enrollment Period. If you have missed that deadline, see if you qualify for the Special Enrollment Period. If you’ve recently gotten married, had a baby, lost your other health coverage, or moved, you may be eligible for the Special Enrollment Period.
- If you aren’t eligible for the Special Enrollment Period, you may still buy a short-term health plan. These plans can help provide you with coverage while you look for a long-term solution.
- Make sure your health plan provides "minimum essential coverage." Your insurance provider or agent can tell you if the plan qualifies, and it should be listed in your plan’s paperwork.
Who Is Covered Under Family Health Insurance?
A family health insurance plan can cover a household’s tax filer, their spouse, and dependents. Provided that a dependent is under age 26, they can be added to a plan.
Can My Girlfriend Be on My Health Insurance?
Yes, your girlfriend can be on your health insurance as a part of your household if you’re domestic partners, and you have a child together or claim her as a dependent.
Can Unmarried Couples Be on the Same Health Insurance?
Yes, unmarried couples can be on the same health insurance if they’re in a domestic partnership household situation. You must be domestic partners and have a child together or the tax filer claims their unmarried domestic partner as a dependent.
How Much Should Family Health Insurance Cost?
Many factors are evaluated when it comes to buying family health insurance. The cost of the right plan will vary depending on your needs and budget. Fortunately, you don’t have to make this important decision on your own. With access to hundreds of plans from recognized insurance companies, HealthMarkets can help you with reviewing your options.Let a licensed health insurance agent help you today by calling (800) 658-0912.