If you’re ready to begin, you can get your FitScore now and start finding health insurance plans from recognized insurance companies.
Five Health Insurance Plan Categories
There are five categories, or “metal levels,” of coverage when you buy a health insurance plan. Each plan covers a different amount of the total cost for care, taking into account monthly premiums, deductibles, copayments, coinsurance, and out-of-pocket maximums. Here’s a look at how much the five health insurance plan categories cover:1
- Bronze: Your health plan pays 60%% of cost. You pay the remaining 40%.
- Silver: Your health plan pays 70% of cost. You pay the remaining 30%.
- Gold: Your health plan pays 80% of cost. You pay the remaining 20%.
- Platinum: Your health plan pays 90% of cost. You pay the remaining 10%.
- Catastrophic: Your health plan pays 60% of the total average cost of care. This plan is only available to people under 30 years old or those who have a hardship exemption.2
No matter which category you choose, it does not affect the quality or amount of care you receive.
What to Consider When Choosing an Individual Health Plan Category
The following is a list of considerations you should review when deciding which category of health insurance plans for individuals you should buy:
- If you expect several doctor visits or need regular prescriptions, you may want to consider the gold or platinum plans.3
- If you don't expect to use regular medical services and don't take regular prescriptions, you may want to consider a bronze plan.3
- If you qualify to save on out-of-pocket costs, you may want to consider the silver plans.3
- If you're under 30 or have a hardship exemption and want low monthly premiums, you may want to consider the catastrophic plan.2
How Do I Choose an Individual Health Insurance Plan?
You can choose an individual health insurance plan by comparing your options with HealthMarkets. There's a lot to consider when choosing a plan category, and HealthMarkets can help you make the right choice. Our FitScore technology can help you compare health insurance plans for individualsside-by-side to find the category that best matches your unique health needs.
Then, we can continuously compare plans for you year after year, so you can shop once and save again and again.
Get your free FitScore today and begin your search for an individual health insurance plan.
1. HealthCare.gov. Retrieved from https://www.healthcare.gov/choose-a-plan/plans-categories/ Accessed on January 27, 2021.
2. HealthCare.gov. Retrieved from https://www.healthcare.gov/choose-a-plan/catastrophic-health-plans/ Accessed on January 27, 2021.
3. HealthCare.gov. Retrieved from https://www.healthcare.gov/choose-a-plan/your-total-costs/ Accessed on January 27, 2021.
HealthMarkets’ FitScore intends to identify plans that fit your needs. You should carefully review official plan materials.