While looking for health insurance quotes for individuals, there's a lot to consider when choosing coverage to suit your needs. In this article, we’ll introduce a few things that can help you get started.
5 Things to Consider When Finding Quotes for Individual Health Insurance
There are 5 basic things you should consider before you begin shopping for health insurance:1,2,3
- Plan categories: There are 4 main categories of Affordable Care Act (ACA) insurance plans: Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Platinum. The category plan you choose determines the percent of costs your insurance provider will cover. Categories with higher premiums (like gold and platinum) will cover a higher percentage of out-of-pocket costs. Those with lower premiums (like bronze and silver) will cover a lower percentage.
- Monthly premiums: The amount you will have to pay your insurance company for your plan each month, whether you use medical services or not.
- Out-of-pocket costs: The amount you will have to pay out of pocket for services when you receive care. These are in addition to your monthly premium expense. Out-of-pocket costs include copays, coinsurance, deductibles, and out-of-pocket maximums.
- Provider network : Different plans provide different levels of coverage when you receive care inside or outside the plan's network of doctors, hospitals, pharmacies, and other medical service providers.
- Benefits: All ACA insurance plans provide the same ten essential health benefits, which cover pre-existing conditions, offer free preventative services, and more. Plans can also offer additional benefits outside of the essentials.
Find Health Insurance Quotes Today
HealthMarkets makes getting health insurance quotes for individuals easy with FitScore®. After answering a few questions about your needs and preferences, we can rank plans for you with a numeric FitScore. The higher the FitScore, the more the plan’s quote matches your needs. Try it out by getting your quote online today.
1.Healthcare.gov. Retrieved from https://www.healthcare.gov/choose-a-plan/your-total-costs/. Accessed February 3, 2021. | 2.Healthcare.gov. Retrieved from https://www.healthcare.gov/choose-a-plan/plan-types/. Accessed February 3, 2021. | 3.Healthcare.gov. Retrieved from https://www.healthcare.gov/coverage/what-marketplace-plans-cover/. Accessed February 3, 2021.
HealthMarkets’ FitScore intends to identify plans that fit your needs. You should carefully review official plan materials.