Everyone knows the old adage “an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” Getting regular free preventive care can help maintain and protect your health as you age. Medicare covers some preventive care for free so that seniors can invest in their health without breaking the bank.
What is preventive care?
Preventive care goes beyond vaccinations, to include screenings, tests, counseling, and other check-ups. Preventive care can help keep both your body and your mind in good condition.
But how much does it cost?
Under Medicare, some preventive care is free depending on eligibility and frequency. Preventive care ultimately saves money and is vital to a healthy lifestyle and budget. Check with you doctor to see if you are eligible for specific preventive care services.
What kinds of preventive care are covered under my plan?
Medicare (Medical Insurance) covers:1,2
- Abdominal aortic aneurysm one-time screening
- Bone mass measurements (bone density) every 24 months or more often if medically necessary
- Cardiovascular disease screenings every 5 years
- Colorectal cancer screenings frequency varies depending on test and medical necessity
- Diabetes screenings 2x per year depending on eligibility.
- Diabetes self-management training varies depending on eligibility
- Hepatitis C screening test one-time screening or yearly for certain high risk people
- Nutrition therapy services
- Obesity screenings & counseling
- Alcohol misuse screenings & counseling every 12 months
- One-time “Welcome to Medicare” preventive visit every 12 months
- Lung cancer screening every 12 months
- Sexually transmitted infections screening & counseling every 12 months or more often based upon eligibility
- HIV screening every 12 months based upon eligibility
- Glaucoma tests every 12 months for high risk people
- Depression screenings every 12 months
- Cardiovascular disease (behavioral therapy) once per year
- Prostate cancer screenings every 12 months
- Cervical & vaginal cancer screening every 24 months or 12 months if medically necessary
- Mammograms (screening) every 12 months of more often if medically necessary
- Flu shot once per flu season
- Hepatitis B shots
- Pneumococcal shots
- Tobacco use cessation counseling 8 visits in a 12 month period
- Yearly “Wellness” visit every 12 months
HealthMarkets is here to help.
HealthMarkets Insurance Agency offers Medicare plans that include free preventive care, and one of our more than 3,000 licensed agents is happy to talk to you about which plan is right for you. Give us a call today at (800) 488-7621 or find an agent near you.