The ACA—also known as Obamacare or the Affordable Care Act—has provisions that will require large businesses to provide health insurance to their employees by either 2015 or 2016, depending on the size of the business. Employers who do not provide this insurance risk paying a penalty tax to the federal government. This requirement is known as the Employer Shared Responsibility Payment, or the employer mandate.
I read the news: the employer mandate keeps changing. How do I know what to do?
This law can be confusing, and it is still being updated; by the time you read this, some provisions in the law may have changed. For the most recent information, you can check with the IRS or the Treasury Department fact sheet, which provide detailed information on the state of the law. For now, HealthMarkets Insurance Agency can provide a few basic facts regarding the employer mandate:
- The employer mandate only applies to large businesses, which the federal government defines as businesses that employ 50 or more people.
- The employer mandate is enforced through a clause in the Internal Revenue Code, which means that the IRS is responsible for collecting and enforcing the penalty via your taxes.
- Businesses with 50 employees or fewer can offer Small Business Health Options Program (SHOP) plans to their employees, starting any month of the year. In addition, small business owners and employees can turn to HealthMarkets Insurance Agency to help navigate choices.
Finding the right health insurance plan
Consider if you fit into one of these three kinds of employment:
- You work at a large company, one that is required to provide you health insurance under the employer mandate.
- You work at a small company, one where your employer may not provide you health insurance.
- You work at the smallest kind of business there is: self-employment.
If you fit into #2 or 3, HealthMarkets is the ideal solution for you.
Whatever the size of your company, you have the option to purchase private health insurance if you feel it will benefit you and your family. HealthMarkets Insurance Agency can help you find the plan that fits.
At HealthMarkets, you can choose between plans from over 200 insurance companies nationwide, so you know you’re getting a plan that suits your needs. Don’t feel limited by your employer’s health insurance options. Call HealthMarkets today at (800) 976-5818 or contact us online to discuss a health insurance plan that feels tailor-made just for you.