This pasta dish is as delicious as it is easy. The ingredients are inexpensive, easy to find, and packed with nutrition! You can’t beat this dish for a quick, healthy meal after work.
Tomatoes are full of vitamins A and C and folic acid. They contain lots of nutrients and antioxidants like lycopene, folic acid, beta-carotene and lutein. And spinach is a superfood that’s packed with vitamins A, B2, C and K, and also contains magnesium, manganese, folate, iron, calcium and potassium.
- 4 cups chicken stock (to watch your sodium and preservatives, try making your own!)
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 box of your favorite whole grain noodles
- 12 oz fresh spinach
- 28 oz diced tomatoes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 ½ tsp minced garlic (If you want to chop fresh garlic, this is the equivalent of about 5 cloves)
- ½ T oregano
- ½ T basil
- ½ T crushed red pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pour the chicken stock into a large pot and heat over high heat.
- Add the pasta, canned tomatoes (undrained), spinach, olive oil, onion, garlic, and all seasonings. Just toss it all in!
- Cover and heat to a rolling boil.
- When the broth boils, remove the lid, reduce heat, and allow to simmer on medium for 10-15 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking. When the pasta has absorbed most of the liquid, it is ready!
Garnish with fresh basil, cheese, or toasted bread and serve!
To make this versatile recipe a soup, just add more chicken stock. To make it a creamy pasta dish, reduce the cooking liquid and stir in a dollop of plain Greek yogurt at the end. The yogurt will mix with the tomatoes to make a delicious cream sauce! A warm, hearty meal in less than 30 minutes and with only one pot to wash – you can’t beat it.