Butternut squash, acorn squash, yellow summer squash, zucchini …this tasty and versatile vegetable comes in all kinds of varieties! We make this squash medley with zucchini and yellow summer squash, but other combinations might work just as well. If you don’t have herbes de Provence and don’t feel like making a special trip to the store, feel free to experiment a little. Squash is basically like a healthy blank canvas, so try out some flavor combinations that appeal to you. Basil, oregano, rosemary, or thyme can be a great place to start.
2 zucchini or green squash
3 yellow summer squash
¼ cup olive oil
7 cloves garlic
2 Tbsp. herbes de Provence
Garlic salt to taste
1 onion (optional)
1½ carrots (optional)
- Wash and slice the zucchini and summer squash, and peel and cut up the carrots. Coarsely chop the garlic into slivers, and chop the onion.
- Heat the olive oil on medium-high, and sauté the garlic until almost translucent.
- Add in the vegetables and sauté, covered, for 12 minutes or so at 40% heat. Turn them frequently.
- Add the garlic salt and herbs just before the vegetables are done. Frequent taste tests are the best way to properly season this dish (and to make sure you aren’t over- or undercooking it).
- Remove from heat promptly to avoid oversoftening. Keep a careful eye on it! Squash can quickly go from succulent to soggy. Serve!