Finding the right dental plan can be just as important as finding health insurance coverage. Taking care of our oral health can lead to a healthier lifestyle and remove potential health risks that would require more medical services than you anticipated from your health plan.
In the average health insurance plan, dental coverage is only included as an essential health benefit for children aged 18 years or younger. Once you are no longer eligible for dental insurance, it requires an additional step to get the oral care you need.
Because many medical plans do not include coverage for dental services, routine dental services are covered through a separate supplemental or stand-alone plan.
Stand-alone dental plans are available through insurance providers or through your dentist. Dental plans typically cover seven basic areas of oral care:
- Preventive care: cleaning, routine office visits.
- Restorative care: fillings, crowns.
- Endodontics: root canals.
- Oral surgery: tooth removal, tissue biopsy, draining of minor oral infections.
- Orthodontics: retainers, braces.
- Periodontics: scaling, root planning and management of acute infections or lesions.
- Prosthodontics: dentures, bridges.
Though the quality of service you receive is not affected by the amount you pay in premiums, the type of dental plan you receive determines the amount of out-of-pocket expenses you may pay. There are two category types you can enroll in:
- Health Maintenance Organization (HMO): This plan requires insurers to pay a premium to have some or all of your dental services covered at a select network of dental care providers.
- Preferred Provider Organization (PPO): This plan allows insurers to visit dentists within network for predetermined rates. Insurers are also allowed to visit dentists outside the network, but will have less coverage than with an in-network dentist.
Regardless of how you plan to use your dental insurance, we can find you the dental plan that meets your oral care needs and budget.
The licensed representatives at HealthMarkets Insurance Agency are well-versed in the available dental plans through an insurance provider. We are confident we can find a dental plan that works with your oral care needs and your budget.
Give us a call today to find a local representative near you at (800) 360-1402.