With the Affordable Care Act (ACA), finding health insurance for families with maternity coverage is easier and more affordable than ever. Since maternity and newborn care are now covered as essential benefits in new public and private healthcare plans, women are able to receive the maternity care they need without extra out-of-pocket expenses.
Because pregnancy is considered a pre-existing condition, many insurance companies denied pregnant women maternity care coverage. Now, the Affordable Care Act prevents insurance companies from denying coverage to individuals with pre-existing conditions. Now, more women are able to receive affordable health care for their maternity needs.
Maternity Care is Essential
With the new health insurance system, maternity and newborn care are considered to be essential health benefits. Other covered health services for women include HPV testing, mammograms, screenings, and counseling for domestic violence.
Specifically, the Affordable Care Act helps cover maternity care services, such as:
- Prenatal care visits
- Alcohol misuse screening and counseling
- Tobacco counseling and cessation intervention
- Rh incompatibility screening
- Iron deficiency anemia screening
- Gestational diabetes screening
- Infection screening
- Breastfeeding support, supplies, and counseling
- Newborn care
What to Consider with Health Insurance with Maternity Coverage
Planning for a new child is an exciting time, but there are several considerations to take into account when shopping for health coverage. Even with maternity and newborn care included as essential benefits, consider:
- Seeking available financial help: There are subsidy programs, such as premium tax credits and cost-sharing reductions that can help lower the cost of monthly premiums or out-of-pocket expenses when you receive medical services.
- Paying attention to the level of maternity coverage in your plan: Even though the Affordable Care Act made maternity care mandatory, insurance providers can determine which services will be covered in a particular plan.
Let HealthMarkets Find Your Maternity Coverage
The licensed agents at HealthMarkets Insurance Agency can help make sure you find health insurance for your family with maternity coverage at no additional cost to you. They can help you receive coverage for your maternity needs.
We’ve helped Americans enroll in more than 4 million insurance policies, and we can help you too. Let’s find the coverage you’ve been looking for. Get a quote online, call us 24/7 at (800) 360-1402, or contact a local agent today.
U.S. News: http://health.usnews.com/health-news/health-insurance/articles/2014/11/14/health-insurance-for-women-how-to-pick-the-best-plan