You may be wondering about Medicare eligibility in Michigan and whether or not you qualify. You’re not alone. Medicare can get complicated, but we’re here to explain the basics.
If you’re ready to start comparing Medicare plans now, get your FitScore® with HealthMarkets.
How Do You Qualify for Medicare in Michigan?
You may qualify for Medicare in Michigan if you’re a U.S. citizen or a permanent legal resident who has lived in the U.S. for more than five years and one or more of the following applies to you:1
- You are 65 or older.
- You have been on Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) for two years.
- You have end-stage renal disease (ESRD) or Lou Gehrig’s disease.
More than 2 million residents are enrolled in Medicare in Michigan as of 20202—approximately 21% of the state’s population.3
What Type of Coverage Does Medicare Eligibility in MI Get You?
Medicare is divided into four parts:
- Part A (hospital coverage)
- Part B (medical coverage)1
- Part C (Medicare Advantage — coverage plans offered by private providers)
- Part D (prescription drug coverage)4
About Michigan Medicare Plans
Medicare Parts A and B are offered by the government. You can increase your coverage by purchasing a Part D drug coverage plan and a Medicare Supplement plan from a private insurance company. While Part D plans cover prescription drugs, Medicare Supplement plans help cover expenses like deductibles and copays that you would otherwise have to pay out of pocket.
As an alternative, if you have Medicare eligibility in Michigan, you can enroll in a Medicare Advantage plan through a private insurance company. More than 947,000 Michiganders are covered by Medicare Advantage, which rolls Medicare Part A and Part B into a single plan.2 Most plans also include prescription drug coverage, and some even include dental, vision, and/or hearing coverage.5
Simplify Medicare Enrollment Today
HealthMarkets can help you learn more about Medicare eligibility in Michigan. And if you are eligible for Medicare or will soon become eligible, HealthMarkets’ FitScore® can help you compare plans.
Simply answer a few questions about your needs, and we can instantly scan available plans and provide recommendations for you. Then, HealthMarkets can continuously compare plans for you year after year, so you can shop once, and save again and again.
Get your free FitScore today to compare Medicare plans and find the one that best fits your needs. You may even discover that you are one of the Medicare-eligible Michiganders who qualify for Extra Help, a program that helps you pay less for prescription drug coverage.6
1. Understanding Medicare Advantage Plans, Medicare. 2020. Retrieved from https://www.medicare.gov/Pubs/pdf/12026-Understanding-Medicare-Advantage-Plans.pdf | 2. Total Number of Medicare Beneficiaries, KFF. 2020. Retrieved from https://www.kff.org/medicare/state-indicator/total-medicare-beneficiaries/ | 3. QuickFacts Michigan, U.S. Census Bureau. 2019. Retrieved from https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/MI | 4. What Medicare Part D drug plans cover, Medicare. 2020. Retrieved from https://www.medicare.gov/drug-coverage-part-d/what-medicare-part-d-drug-plans-cover | 5. Understanding Medicare Advantage Plans, Medicare. 2020. Retrieved from https://www.medicare.gov/Pubs/pdf/12026-Understanding-Medicare-Advantage-Plans.pdf
HealthMarkets’ FitScore Forever Promise is to use technology to help identify and continuously search plans that fit your needs. Not available for all insurance types. Plan enrollment is customer’s responsibility. You should carefully review official plan materials.