Wondering about Medicare eligibility in Montana? If you’re almost 65 years old, you might have some questions. HealthMarkets can help you learn more about how to qualify, as well as help you review your options.
Who Has Medicare Eligibility in Montana?
You may be eligible for Medicare in Montana if you’re a U.S. citizen or permanent legal resident who has lived in the U.S. for more than five years and one or more of the following applies to you:1
- You are 65 or older.
- You have been on Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) for two years.
- You have end-stage renal disease (ESRD) or Lou Gehrig’s disease.
If you’re eligible for Medicare in Montana, your first step is to decide if you want to keep Original Medicare or a switch to a Medicare Advantage plan.
Medicare Plans in Montana
Over 235,000 Montana residents enrolled in Medicare in 2020.2 Here’s a quick look at the coverage available.
Medicare consists of four parts:
- Part A is hospitalization insurance, which covers inpatient care.
- Part B is medical insurance, which covers doctor visits, lab work, and medical devices.
Medicare Parts A and B are provided by the government and are known as Original Medicare. On the first day of the month that you turn 65, Medicare will automatically enroll you in the Original Medicare program if you are already receiving Social Security benefits. You can extend coverage by purchasing a separate prescription drug plan and a Medicare Supplement plan.
- Part C is Medicare Advantage, which combines Medicare Parts and B into one plan. This means that a private health insurance company provides the benefits for Medicare instead of the government. Medicare Advantage plans may even include drug, vision, and/or dental coverage in a single plan.2
- Part D is prescription drug coverage, which can help pay for required medications. This is not part of Original Medicare and can be purchased on its own from a private insurance company.
How To Apply For Medicare in Montana
Did you determine that you have Medicare Eligibility in Montana? You can apply for Medicare coverage in Big Sky Country by contacting your local Social Security office, either by phone or by visiting their website.
Are you looking for help with your prescription drug coverage? The HealthMarkets Extra Help Calculator can help you find out if you are eligible for savings. Approximately 53% of Medicare-eligible Montanans who applied for Extra Help with prescription drug costs were deemed eligible in 2020.3
HealthMarkets’ innovative FitScore® can help you review your options and find the insurance plan that’s right for your needs and budget, all at no cost to you. Begin comparing plans today.
1.CMS. 2020. Retrieved from https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Eligibility-and-Enrollment/OrigMedicarePartABEligEnrol | 2. KFF. 2020. Retrieved from https://www.kff.org/medicare/state-indicator/total-medicare-beneficiaries/ | 3. SSA. 2020. Retrieved from https://www.ssa.gov/open/data/fy16-onwards-MPD-Plan-Cost-Yrly.csv