What Is a High Deductible Health Plan?
An HDHP is a health insurance plan featuring lower premiums and higher deductibles. Consumers with a health savings account, or HSA, often combine this plan with an HDHP. A high deductible health plan combined with an HSA usually costs less per year because of lower premiums, as well as the fact that prescription drug costs count toward the deductible. Preventive care measures can include:
- Health evaluations: Tests and diagnostic procedures, routine examinations, and annual physicals
- Screening services: Cancer, heart, mental health, pediatric and vision
- Routine prenatal and well-child visits
- Child and adult immunizations
- Tobacco cessation programs
- Obesity and weight-loss programs
To determine if an HDHP is right for you, you first need to know the kind of coverage you want. In doing so, pay attention to what the policy includes and if a HDHP is even compatible with your current insurance coverage. You may not have the option. An agent at HealthMarkets Insurance Agency can help you answer any of these questions. Our vision here at HealthMarkets Insurance Agency is to make insurance shopping easy, so you can focus on the important things in life. We have helped Americans enroll in over 4 million insurance policies since 2010. Give one of our agents a call today, or visit our blog for more helpful information.