Who Has Medicare Eligibility in Louisiana?
In 2018, 867,826 Louisiana residents were enrolled in Medicare benefits. That is the equivalent of 19% of the state population.
So, how do you join them?
First, you need to be a U.S. citizen. Then, one of the following should also apply to you:
- You’re 65 or older.
- You’re under 65, permanently disabled, and receive disability benefits from Social Security or the Railroad Retirement Board.
- You have end-stage renal disease (ESRD) or ALS, also known as Lou Gehrig’s Disease.
Once you have Medicare eligibility in Louisiana, it’s time to review your options.
The Four Parts of Medicare in Louisiana
Medicare benefits can be a huge assistance once you meet eligibility requirements in Louisiana, but you might be confused about your plan choices.
There are 4 main parts of Medicare:
- Medicare Part A: This is hospital insurance for inpatient hospital stays.
- Medicare Part B: This medical insurance is for outpatient care such as doctor visits, lab work, and medical devices.
- Medicare Part C:Medicare Advantage allows Medicare-eligible individuals to receive Part A and Part B through a private insurance company. There are a variety of plans available, many with drug, dental, vision, and hearing coverage included.
- Medicare Part D: Prescription drug coverage.
If you have Social Security, you’ll automatically be enrolled in Parts A & B, also known as Original Medicare. You can extend your benefits by purchasing a Medicare Supplement plan that covers out-of-pocket expenses and/or a drug coverage plan. Instead of Original Medicare, you can opt for a Part C plan instead.
What Is The Right Medicare Plan for Me?
This question is asked frequently by individuals with Medicare eligibility in Louisiana. The answer depends on your income, health, and how much flexibility you’re comfortable with in choosing a doctor.
In Louisiana, more than 572,000 residents chose Original Medicare plans in 2018, and 294,498 picked Medicare Advantage.
It can be a difficult choice if you aren’t sure what’s right for you. That’s why getting help from HealthMarkets for your Medicare needs is a good idea. Our service is free, and you’ll be able to compare plans from multiple well-known companies.
Let us help you learn more about Medicare eligibility in Louisiana. You might even qualify for Extra Help with your prescription drug costs. In 2019, 50% of all Louisiana Medicare Part D enrollees who applied for Extra Help with their prescription drug costs were eligible. HealthMarkets can help you determine your Extra Help and Medicare eligibility in Louisiana.
Discover the right plan for you today by shopping and comparing plans online with HealthMarkets.
https://www.kff.org/medicare/state-indicator/total-medicare-beneficiaries/ | https://www.kff.org/medicare/state-indicator/medicare-beneficiaries-as-of-total-pop/ | https://www.kff.org/medicare/issue-brief/medicare-advantage-2017-spotlight-enrollment-market-update/ | https://www.cms.gov/Research-Statistics-Data-and-Systems/Statistics-Trends-and-Reports/Dashboard/Medicare-Enrollment/Enrollment%20Dashboard.html