Who Has Medicare Eligibility in North Carolina?Medicare provides health insurance coverage to U.S. citizens who qualify, including:
- People aged 65 and older.
- People who have been diagnosed with End-Stage Renal Disease (ESRD).
- People who are eligible for and/or receive Social Security or Railroad Retirement Board disability benefits.
Understanding Medicare Eligibility in North Carolina and Choosing a Plan
Once you’re eligible for Medicare, it’s time to review your choices. Medicare is actually divided into four separate parts, which are:
- Part A: Hospital Insurance
- Part B: Medical Insurance
- Part C: Medicare Advantage
- Part D: Prescription Drug Coverage
Medicare Parts A & B are provided by the government. If you want drug coverage or extra help to pay out-of-pocket costs with a Medicare Supplement plan, you can purchase them separately through a private insurance company.
Medicare Advantage plans are offered through private insurance companies. With this option, you’ll get Part A and Part B coverage in a single plan that often includes drug, dental, and vision coverage, as well.
Many North Carolinians receive Medicare benefits:
- Almost 2 million North Carolina residents were enrolled in Medicare in 2018, equaling 19 % of the population.
- 643,616 chose a Medicare Advantage plan for 2018
- In 2018, almost 58% of Medicare enrollees who applied for a low-income subsidy received Extra Help with their prescription costs.
To learn more about Medicare's parts and Medicare Advantage, check out this helpful video:
HealthMarkets Makes NC Medicare Eligibility Easy to Understand
HealthMarkets licensed agents are available to help you determine if you have Medicare eligibility in North Carolina. We can answer your questions about Medicare, find plans that meet your needs, and even help with enrollment— all at no charge to you. Contact a HealthMarkets at (800) 439-6916 or get started with an online quote now.
https://www.kff.org/medicare/state-indicator/total-medicare-beneficiaries/ | https://www.kff.org/medicare/state-indicator/medicare-beneficiaries-as-of-total-pop/ | https://www.ssa.gov/open/data/Data-about-Extra-Help-with-Medicare-Prescription-Drug-Plan-Cost.html | https://www.cms.gov/medicare/eligibility-and-enrollment/origmedicarepartabeligenrol/index.html