Many residents of the Equality State want to know more about Wyoming Medicare eligibility. Below are some quick facts about the federal program and how the state helps low-income residents with premium costs.
Wyoming Medicare Eligibility: Who can Enroll?
You may be eligible for Medicare if you’re a U.S. citizen or a permanent legal resident who has lived in the U.S. for more than five years and one or more of the following applies to you:
- You are 65 or older.
- You have been on Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) for two years.
- You have end-stage renal disease (ESRD) or Lou Gehrig’s disease.
Know Your Medicare Parts
Medicare is made up of four “parts.” If you’ve paid Social Security taxes, you’ll be automatically eligible into Medicare Part A,1 which covers hospital costs. Medicare Part B covers doctor visits. Together, Parts A and B are called Original Medicare.
Medicare Part C is also known as Medicare Advantage. It’s sold by private insurance companies. Medicare Advantage has the same coverage as Original Medicare, but often includes additional benefits such as emergency care and drug coverage.2
Medicare Part D is prescription drug coverage, which covers all or part of the costs of your medications.3
In 2018, there were 107,656 Wyoming residents who had either Original Medicare or Medicare Advantage.4
Wyoming Medicare Savings Programs
If you need financial assistance, the Wyoming Department of Health offers two programs that may be able to help. The Qualified Medicare Beneficiary (QMB) and Specified Low-Income Medicare Beneficiary (SLMB) are state-run programs that pay Medicare premiums and, in some cases, Medicare coinsurance and deductible payments.
To qualify, you must be:5
- A Wyoming resident.
- A U.S. citizen or a lawful permanent resident who has lived in the U.S. for at least five years.
- Entitled to Part A and Part B Medicare Insurance.
- Income eligible at or below 135% of the federal poverty level (FPL).
- Resource eligible.6
How Do I Apply for Medicare in Wyoming?
You can apply for Original Medicare in Wyoming by contacting Social Security during the Initial Medicare Enrollment Period, which takes place from three months before you turn 65 until three months afterward. If you miss this six-month window, you can enroll during the General Enrollment Period from January 1 – March 31.7
Medicare Advantage and Medicare Part D can be applied to when you first get Medicare, however if you opt against this, you can apply during the annual Medicare Open Enrollment Period October 15 – December 7.7
If you’re ready to start shopping for a Medicare Advantage, Medicare Supplement, or Medicare Part D Plan, get your free FitScore® with HealthMarkets. It will help you find plans that best fit your needs. Our FitScore Forever technology then will continuously compare plans for you year after year, so you can shop once, and save again and again. If there’s a better plan available, we will let you know! Get started today.
1. Original Medicare (Part A and B) Eligibility and Enrollment, CMS. 2020. Retrieved from https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Eligibility-and-Enrollment/OrigMedicarePartABEligEnrol | 2. Understanding Medicare Advantage Plans, Medicare. 2020. Retrieved from https://www.medicare.gov/Pubs/pdf/12026-Understanding-Medicare-Advantage-Plans.pdf | 3. What Medicare Part D drug plans cover, Medicare. 2020. Retrieved from https://www.medicare.gov/drug-coverage-part-d/what-medicare-part-d-drug-plans-cover | 4. Total Number of Medicare Beneficiaries, KFF. 2018. Retrieved from https://www.kff.org/medicare/state-indicator/total-medicare-beneficiaries/?currentTimeframe=0&sortModel=%7B%22colId%22:%22Location%22,%22sort%22:%22asc%22%7D | 5. Programs and Eligibility, Wyoming DOH. 2020. Retrieved from https://health.wyo.gov/healthcarefin/medicaid/programs-and-eligibility/ | 6. Maximum Resource Standards, Wyoming DOH. 2020. Retrieved from https://sites.google.com/a/wyo.gov/ecom/tables/table7 | 7. Medicare enrollment periods: when to sign up, Medicare. 2020. Retrieved from https://www.medicare.gov/blog/medicare-enrollment-period2020#:.